New Baby? Big Changes!
Educational/support groups for mothers with babies 0 to 6 months.
Program developed and groups led by
Barbara Burrows Psychoanalyst RP (Registered Psychotherapist)
New Baby? Big Changes! gives mothers a chance to talk about and listen to others as they explore their shared experience. A woman is likely at her most vulnerable psychologically during last months of pregnancy and first few months after birth. Talking can lead to problem solving that often eases anxiety and can offer the emotional support so badly needed at this time.
This group for mothers (babies are welcome) explores the emotional experience of the mother and of the baby. Topics are introduced in a flexible way which leads to discussion, sharing and problem solving. Suggested readings are included under “readings” on this website.
- Primary maternal preoccupation.
- The ubiquitous post-natal depression or “baby blues days”.
- How to understand the baby’s communication and feelings.
- Infant feelings and how they impact the mother (and father).
- What is needed for a secure attachment between mother and baby.
- How and why our own early experiences as infants and children can be triggered at this time.
- How raising an infant impacts the marital relationship.
- Understanding the temperament of the baby and the mother.
- Separation issues during the first year.
- Understanding the need for emotional support for both mothers and fathers.
 Donald Winnicott (1896-1971) a British pediatrician and psychoanalyst coined the term “primary maternal preoccupation” to refer to the mother’s vulnerable emotional state that comes from her deep investment in her unborn child during last few months of pregnancy and first few months with the newborn infant.
 The vulnerable emotional state of the mother due her deep investment in her baby.
Registration Information: Barbara Burrows would like to speak to mothers prior to the start of the group to identify topics of specific interest and to answer any questions.
Please text her at 905 320 8929 to set up a time to talk by telephone. Be sure to identify that you are interested in New Baby? Big Changes! as she does not respond to unsolicited texts.
4-8 participants. Babies are welcome.
6 sessions – 1 meeting/week
To give mothers a chance to see if this group meets their needs, there is no charge for the first session. Commitment to the group and payment is due second session.
No refunds for missed sessions.
Cost: Fall 2023 programs are pilot projects to evaluate. Donations are welcome but there is no registration fee . If evaluations are positive, going forward, cost will be $200+HST=$226 (or sliding scale when required.)
Dates and Times
Fall: 10:30 am to 12pm
Friday Sept 15 – Friday Oct 20/23
Friday Oct 27 – Friday Dec 1/23
1328 Janina Blvd Burlington ON L7P 1K3